Monday, January 25, 2010

I'm Still Here!


Hello! I thought I would just do a quick post before I run off to work to say that I am still here and doing well. I have had a full and wonderful two weeks since I last posted, but between work, the temple, my calling and my family, I have hardly sat down at my computer. So, this week I am going to try to catch up. I thought I would start off my catch up with a post.

Work has been wonderful but much busier than usual. We been in the process of hiring for both hospitals and so between interviews and working with the new hires, I have been busier (and a little less flexible) than usual. But, I have loved it and it has made me grateful again for my good job!

As I sat with one of our new hires the other day and started orienting her to the unit and getting things set up, I thought about how I have felt as I have started new jobs. I remembered feeling a little lost and wondering if I would like my new job. I really tried that day to make her feel welcome and to help her know that we are  here to help and support her. I love being able to help new staff feel welcome and help them through that transition.

I wanted to also leave one quick thought for the day. I got called to the Stake Young Women's Presidency in December and the past few Sundays we have been attending different Ward Conferences in our Stake. It has been really neat to hear the talks by the different Bishops and the Stake President.

Last week the Stake President said something (and he repeated it yesterday) that I have thought a lot about. He was talking about 3 Nephi 17, the wonderful chapter about Christ blessing the children. After reading a part of it, he said, "Children are our honored guests in our homes. That is how the Savior felt about children; He looked at them with a heart full of love. The environment we create in our homes is so important. Our children need our love."

The part that really struck me is about children being "honored guests." How do I treat "honored guests?" How would I treat President Monson if he were coming to my home? I don't have my own children of course, but I have thought a lot about this as I have interacted with my nieces and nephews this past week.

I wanted to end with a few pictures of some of my darling "honored guests."



"Tea (actually milk) Party" with Annika and Mieka




Me with darling Kate



Grandpa reading stories to the some of his grandchildren

Well, I am off to work. Have a happy day!

4 comments:

Lori said...

I love that...about the honored guests! Thanks for that reminder of how special little children are. How are are so special being children of our Heavenly Father. See you Thursday!

Holly said...

Your nieces and nephews are blessed to have such wonderful aunts! That is a great reminder for me. I'm going to try harder to treat my children as honored guests!

ems said...

Great quote! Thanks for the reminder, it does get hard to remember sometimes that they are actually His when they are squishing bananas into the carpet and their hair. This quote should help though, thanks!

Corilee said...

That was a great moment catching your Dad reading to the grandchildren. He is trying to make Adam and Michelle's kids be more involved with us.

He has told them that if they will come up every day when they get home from school he will read to them or play with them. So far so good. The kids are downstairs now as I type this comment.

Sounds like they are having fun....