Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy Independence Day!



What is that which the breeze, o’er the towering steep,

As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?

Now it catches the gleam of the morning’s first beam,

In full glory reflected now shines on the stream;

’Tis the star-spangled banner! Oh, long may it wave

O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

Oh, thus be it ever, when free men shall stand

Between their loved homes and the war’s desolation!

Blest with vict’ry and peace, may the heav’n-rescued land

Praise the Pow’r that hath made and preserved us a nation!

Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,

And this be our motto: “In God is our trust!”

And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave

O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

--Francis Scott Key

I took this picture of the flag last night at our family Independence Day celebration.  I love the flag and all that it represents!

Today, in church we stood and sang "The Star Spangled Banner."  I was really touched by the second and third verses, which we don't sing much anymore. I love how much the Founders of our nation trusted in God!

We are so blessed with "victory and peace" and I do praise the Power that made and preserved this beautiful nation!

The beautiful sunset last night!


After my month long abscence, I really should write more, but that is all I have time for today. I will write more soon!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I felt the same way when we sang the National Anthem in church on Sunday. I just finished reading a Ben Franklin biography last week, so I was thinking a lot about how inspired our Founding Fathers were and how lucky we are to live in America. I'm happy I wasn't alone in those thoughts!

Corilee said...

I agree with you about the song. We sang it in Church this last Sunday too. We also sang all three verses and I was touched by the last verse as well. We must have been on the same wave length.

That is a beautiful picture of the sunset, very dramatic in fact. I can't see the flag very well though.

Love you,

Mither