I had an interesting experience yesterday. I was saying my morning prayers and remembered a quote from a talk I had listened to recently by Elder Oaks. It is his talk called "Unselfish Service" from the April 2009 General Conference. This is the quote I thought of:
"In contrast, a wise friend wrote:
'Years ago, I changed my attitude about going to church. No longer do I go to church for my sake, but to think of others. I make a point of saying hello to people who sit alone, to welcome visitors, . . . to volunteer for an assignment. . . .
“In short, I go to church each week with the intent of being active, not passive, and making a positive difference in people’s lives. Consequently, my attendance at Church meetings is so much more enjoyable and fulfilling.'”
(The whole talk is very good. You can find it here.)
In my prayer, I asked that I would do something that would make a difference for someone else in Church that day. I thought it would likely be something I didn't know about; maybe a comment I made would help someone or maybe even just a smile that would brighten someone's day.
Well, I was going in Sunday School and a man in our ward pulled me aside and showed me a sister sitting alone. He said that she had asked him if this was the right class, said she was new, and seemed really nervous. He was wondering if I would mind sitting by her. (I thought that was very considerate of him to think of her...I wouldn't have noticed her if he hadn't pointed her out.)
I went and sat down by her and introduced myself. We ended up talking off and on throughout Sunday School and Relief Society. It turns out she was baptized when she was young but has never really been back and recently decided she needed the Gospel in her life.
This was her first time in Gospel Doctrine. She asked me to help her find the different scriptures references we were reading and was anxiously marking them. She asked me questions about what we were talking about, and even made a comment in Relief Society! It was really such a neat experience. I was touched by her willingness to learn and glad to be able to help her. It reminded me of my mission.
After I got home, I thought of my prayer that morning. I remembered reading once about inspired prayer; that at times, the Spirit will guide you what to pray for. It was such a wonderful thing to have that concept demonstrated to me yesterday, and with very little effort on my part. I am glad that Heavenly Father saw fit to use me as an instrument to help another person!
Whole 30?????
10 years ago

6 comments:
You are amazing. You do help alot of people even if you do, do it as a job. You are great Jan! WTG with helping a sister become more relaxed and more involved in her new home ward.
That is wonderful that you helped that sister. I bet you were the perfect person to do it too. And I bet you made a big impact in her life. But then you are a wonderful example to us on our temple shift.
That is so neat Jan! :)
Thanks so much for sharing that. I was very touched by that thought in Elder Oaks talk, but had forgotten about it. And then to see how you were led in prayer - absolutely amazing. You are such a great example!
God moves in a mysterious way, dosen't He. I'm sure you made a big difference in her life.
What a blessing when we see the hand of the Lord in our lives. Really, what a bagel! :)
Post a Comment