I love children; I love spending time with them, learning from them and especially hearing the cute things they say.
Last week I had a couple of really cute children moments.
The first was when I went to dinner with some friends that I haven't seen for ahwile. They have two kids, a five year old boy and a three year old girl and they were both so cute all night long. Even though it had been awhile since I had seen the kids, they soon warmed up to me and were talking to me, sitting on my lap, giving me hugs etc. So cute.
After dinner, we went to their house and put the kids to bed. The five year old boy said the prayer by himself and it was actually quite long and involved, and very sweet. Here is an excerpt:
"Thank you for the chapel because Jesus lives there, and please bless God, and please bless...(silence, then an aside to his Dad) what's her name again? Oh yeah, please bless Janice."
It was so cute. I couldn't help smiling during the prayer. I am sure Heavenly Father just loves these wonderful prayers from these little children.
I asked my friends afterward why he said, "Please bless God." They said that in his mind the Godhead has four members: Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, God and the Holy Ghost. So cute!
The other moment was with my sweet niece and nephew. My sister invited us over for dinner and after dinner, my niece Emma wanted to make cookies. I love making cookies with my nieces and nephews; we do it every time we have a sleepover at our house. It is so fun to have them help and see them get so excited about it (and of course to help them eat the cookies afterwards...)
So, we got the stools out for them to stand on and I proceeded to make cookies with my four year old niece and two year old nephew. All was going well until I pulled out the mixer to mix it. There was only one beater! I asked my sister where the other beater was and she said it had broken and they didn't want to buy another one because it still mixes just fine. (They are very frugal. I need to be more like that.)
So, we started mixing the cookie dough with the one beater. Of course Emma had her hand on mine, Matthew had his hand on the mixer, and then Emma decided her pink dolphin needed to help as well.
So, I am trying to mix with one beater, two kids (and the dolphin of course) and feeling like I am doing a pretty good job considering the circumstances, with only a few little pieces of dough flying around onto the recipe book and counter. Then Emma, noticing that it was a little messier than usual says, "Janice, you are not a very good cookie maker..."
It was so cute. I couldn't help laughing! I love the perspective of children. Here are a few pictures:
The mixing process, right before Emma's comment. Notice the slightly concerned look on my face, the one beater, and of course, the pink dolphin.
Putting the chocolate chips in. Emma has the cutest look on her face in this picture! Matthew was helping put the chips in and of course, helping to eat a few chips as well.
Well, we had fun, but Dan made me take all but a few of the cookies with me so that they were not in his house tempting him.
So, I took them to work the next day and told my coworkers the story. Later, one of the girls asked me for the recipe.
I told her I wasn't sure if she really trusted my recipe, after all, I am not a very good cookie maker, and besides, she would have to get a pink dolphin...I am SURE that is why they turned out so good :).

8 comments:
That sounds like alot of fun. You are a fun aunt and the kids are always asking if we could cook together. I dont have the love that you do to not get mad at them while cooking. I am getting better.
I hope you know that Truman said a prayer for you and Jen. Anyways just thought I would let you know.
Oh how sweet Karla, thanks for letting me know!
Tell Truman thanks and tell all of your kids that we pray for them every day.
truly...kids are the best! my 3 year old nephew always says this in his prayers..."Bless the Church". it is so cute and i love hearing it. and i guess it doesn't hurt to bless the church for sure...though i think it is in very good hands! ; )
i am glad you enjoy kid moments. me too! love them!
see you in a few hours!
Thanks for making cookies with the kids (and the pink dolphin of course). You have more patients with them than I do. No wonder they love you so much!
I love kid moments too. Thanks for the cute stories!
Kids are so sweet! I love the way their minds work. I'm glad to hear the cookies turned out great! :)
I gotta get a pink dolphin! I never knew that was they key to perfect cookies ;)
LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
I laughed so hard at that story. You told it so well!
I need a pink dolphin now. lol.
Well I don't have a pink dolphin but it's just as well since chocolate chip cookies aren't part of my life anymore.
Hmmmm....
I wonder if there is a sugarless, flourless chocolate chip cookie recipe. If you come across one let me know
Post a Comment