I love making Gingerbread houses! While mine are by no means professional, and I usually only spend an evening making it, it is a fun tradition that I have been doing for many years. Ems and I were the only ones that spent all night at it (which is why it is now midnight) so by the time we got around to taking pictures ours were the only ones left to take pictures of:
Here is Em's house--she is amazing! Unfortunately, you can't really see how detailed it is in the picture. Look at the decoration done in frosting on the front of the house. She did that around the whole house. The roof is graham crackers, perfectly placed, and the lights around the roof are Christmas Cadbury eggs, cut in half. She really is creative. (One year she made a big church complete with stained glass windows, but that took a lot longer than just one evening.)
Here is my house. Notice I copied Em's frosting decoration on the front of the house, although mine is not quite as precise. (I am not quite as patient as she is...) Mine is on a bigger board so I was able to do a little more with the yard. It sure was fun to make! I especially like the tree. You can't really see in the picture, but it is red and silver, and the same silver accents are on each post of the fence (suggested by Emilee, of course.)
On a totally unrelated note, I have to tell one more quick story. I ran in to the gift shop at the hospital last week and bought a little stuffed animal. I think it was $12 total. The cute pink lady told me that because I spent over $10, I qualified to be in a drawing for a nativity and pointed over to the side of the store to show me what they were drawing for. I couldn't really tell where she was pointing, even when I asked her again, but I decided it didn't really matter since there was not much chance of my winning it anyway. So, I filled out the ticket and went on my way.
A few days later, I got a call that I had won the drawing. I thought that was fun, especially since I have never won a drawing like that, but I still wasn't sure what I had won. I assumed it was just a little nativity.
Well, I went in to pick it up and they handed me this large box. When I opened it up, this was what I found:
It is actually a Demdaco nativity! I looked it up and it sells for around $75. I couldn't believe that I had actually won something so nice, and from just a quick trip in to the gift shop. I just thought I would share my fun news.
Well, I'm off to bed. I hope you are all enjoying this Holiday season. I am sure having fun!



8 comments:
I love your gingerbread houses! They are great! I did one with Lizzy this year, it was so much fun. Ours didn't look nearly as nice as yours. Still, very fun tradition to start. And congrats on the free nativity! It's beautiful!
Your houses look great!
I love that nativity! Congrats on winning it. :)
hey janice, those houses are great!what frosting do you use to "glue" the houses together? I'm doing some on friday for my sons preschool class and I gotta make some sturdy frosting. any suggestions?? email me at alfercamille@gmail.com
you're so lucky! I love that nativity set.
I wish I could have stayed up and watched you girls finish your houses but 5:00 cames early and I don't do well if I don't get enough sleep.
Both Houses look great!
You really are lucky to recieve two nativity sets even if the first one was tiny =)
Lub lubs!
Yes Mom, thanks for the other Nativity set. It must be my lucky year!
It was fun to do the houses together. And by the way, your frosting decorations looked just the same as mine, so I don't know what you're talking about!
Congrats on the nativity set. Guess you should buy little $12 pointless items more often! :)
So cute! Good to see you blogging. I will be checking in regularly.
Post a Comment